Friday 5 August 2011

Interesting places in Novosibirsk Region. Iskitim marble pit

Though the summer has been busy for me, I could always find some time for a small travel.
I've lived in Novosibirsk all my life, but I never knew there are so many interesting places there. It just never occurred to me to start exploring them earlier, but now when I'm a tour guide and eager to show my tourists the most curious and interesting places in my city and around it, I feel I just have to go and see them myself first.

A deserted marble pit by the town of Iskitim, which is about 50 km away from Novosibirsk, is one of the most amazing places I have ever seen.


Not many locals know about it, and it's not in the guidebooks, so the place is visited by a very few people. And it makes the place even more charming and even mystical.
It was supposed to obtain marble there and the works were done for some time in the 70-ies, but now the pit is deserted. It turned out that the marble there was too fragile to transport or something like that, so it was no use. But now it's an interesting attraction.
The pit looks like huge steps leading down. Now they are overgrown with trees and grass. It's very quiet inside, as the wind can't come down the pit. It all makes the place a good destination for a short picnic.
I definitely recommend all visitors of our city to try to get there.




No comments:

Post a Comment